This tutorial is a milestone reward from the Problem Glyphs Patreon campaign and was made possible by the support of its patrons. I want to emphasize how life-changing this project is for me, solely because of your investment in my drawings, financial and otherwise. Thank you.
This tutorial is in text format rather than video because I find it difficult to draw while trying to follow a video (I have to keep pausing and rewinding), and because accessibility for Deaf and Hard of Hearing readers, as well as Blind and Low Vision people who are using screen readers, is important to me. Let me know if I can help with accessibility in other ways.
Problem Glyphs started in November of 2013 as a response to one of those popular “ask meme” posts on Tumblr. I (and glyph poet Elias IKB) tell the whole story to a journalist here, so if you’re interested in more in-depth backstory, that’s the place to go. Right now I’m going to show you how to make your own problem glyphs, at any level of drawing ability, with the tools you have on hand.
I was born in the wrong generation. This generation is still racist as fuck and I can’t download a pizza. Wake me up in the year 3019.
*Update from the year 3000* not much has changed but we live underwater
How’s my great-great-great-granddaughter?
She’s doin’ fine
1. Always post the rules
2. Answer the questions from the person who tagged you and make 11 new ones.
3. Tag 11 people and link them to this post.
4. Let them know you’ve tagged them. Alright let’s go!
tagging: I haven’t talked to eleven different tumblrites all month so I’m just gonna say frittahz, catawampuscreations, pyrotyger and raemanzu and oddismycopilot, if you fancy another meme thing? Anyone else: I’d happily hear your answers too!
1) Did you used to spend time on the internet back when dial-up was a thing? If so, where?
2) How’s the internet going, as you see it? Is the internet better now it’s shinier and more animated?
3) Tea, or coffee? Or something else?
4) If you were a character in a zombie story, what’d you be up to?
5) If you were in an anime, how would Anime You dress?
6) If your house was on fire and everyone was out safely, would you go back in to save any worldly goods?
7) Have you learnt stuff from Tumblr, or from people you’ve met on Tumblr?
8) Back to reality… What stuff do you carry with you everywhere?
9) Have you got jewelry with sentimental value, or something that’s a lucky charm?
10) Do names you use online have strong meanings for you, or would you change ‘em without looking back?
11) Have you enjoyed conversations at bus stops, or are you happier keeping to yourself?
things I should be doing
- chilling out pre-moving-all-my-crap
things I am doing
- talking about really heavy shit and long term ways to make queer spaces better
HOUSE MOVING FEAAAAAAAAR